[Python-Dev] Pre-PEP: Unifying try-except and try-finally

Tim Peters tim.peters at gmail.com
Wed May 4 20:41:22 CEST 2005

[Guido]
> I'm +1 on accepting this now -- anybody against?

I'm curious to know if you (Guido) remember why you removed this
feature in Python 0.9.6?  From the HISTORY file:

"""
New features in 0.9.6:
- stricter try stmt syntax: cannot mix except and finally clauses on 1 try
"""

IIRC (and I may well not), half of people guessed wrong about whether
an exception raised in an "except:" suite would or would not skip
execution of the same-level "finally:" suite.

try:
    1/0
except DivisionByZero:
    2/0
finally:
    print "yes or no?"

The complementary question is whether an exception in the "finally:"
suite will be handled by the same-level "except:" suites.

There are obvious answers to both, of course.  The question is whether
they're the _same_ obvious answers across responders <0.7 wink>.