[Python-Dev] @decoration of classes

Jim Jewett jimjjewett at gmail.com
Thu Mar 24 22:11:11 CET 2005

Josiah Carlson:

> I just noticed that decoration of classes was not included with the
> @decoration syntax that made it into Python 2.4. ...

> Is the fact that it didn't make it into 2.4 due to a pronouncement

Yes, but it wasn't a permanent decision, and I don't think
he used the magic word "pronounce".

Adding class decoration later is not difficult.

Retracting class decoration later would have been impossible.

Therefore Guido decided for version 2.4, but left the question
open for the unspecified future.  Changing it would take
arguments stronger than symmetry or "why not?", so it
probably won't change for 2.5, but if you have a compelling
use case ...

(Mine have all been using an object as a callable -- basically
replacing a function.  The itch hasn't been strong enough to
bother me.)

-jJ