[Python-Dev] Inconsistent API for sets.Set and build-in set

Raymond Hettinger python at rcn.com
Thu Jun 30 19:37:00 CEST 2005

> If there are no objections, I propose to do the following (only in
> Python 2.4 and 2.5):
>
>       * Add set.union_update() as an alias for set.update().

No.  It was intentional to drop the duplicate method with the
hard-to-use name.  There was some thought given to deprecating
sets.union_update() but that would have just caused unnecessary grief.

>       * Add to docstrings for all methods that 't' can be any
iterable.
>       * Update texinfo documentation to add Set.update() and
>         set.union_update() and explain that all can take iterables

Feel free to assign a doc patch to me.

> I consider this a bug in 2.4, not a new feature, because without it,
it
> makes more work in porting applications.

Bah.  It's just one of the handful of search/replace steps:

   Set --> set
   ImmutableSet --> frozenset
   union_update --> update

> I'm willing to Just Fix It,

Please don't.  All of the differences between set and Set were
intentional improvements (i.e. the hash algorithm's are different).

Raymond