[Python-Dev] Adding Python-Native Threads

Adam Olsen rhamph at gmail.com
Sun Jun 26 13:04:17 CEST 2005

On 6/26/05, Ronald Oussoren <ronaldoussoren at mac.com> wrote:
> Have a look at stackless python. http://www.stackless.com/

On 6/26/05, Florian Schulze <florian.proff.schulze at gmx.net> wrote:
> Also look at greenlets, they are in the py lib http://codespeak.net/py

While internally Stackless and Greenlets may (or may not) share a lot
with my proposed python-native threads, they differ greatly in their
intent and the resulting interface they expose.  Stackless and
Greenlets are both tools for building an architecture that uses
threads, while my python-native threads IS that resulting
architecture.

For example, with Greenlets you would use the .switch() method of a
specific greenlet instance to switch to it, and with my python-native
threads you would use the global idle() function which would decide
for itself which thread to switch to.

--
Adam Olsen, aka Rhamphoryncus