[Python-Dev] PEP 304 - is anyone really interested?

Greg Ewing greg.ewing at canterbury.ac.nz
Fri Jun 24 04:11:03 CEST 2005

Skip Montanaro wrote:
> I wrote PEP 304, "Controlling Generation of Bytecode Files":
>
>     http://www.python.org/peps/pep-0304.html

I would like to see some way of having bytecode files put
into platform/version dependent subdirectories, which
would make it easier e.g. to have Python code shared
over a network between machines of different architectures
or running different Python versions. But the scheme this
PEP proposes (a single session-wide location) is too
coarse-grained for what I have in mind. So I would not
support this particular PEP without sufficiently large
changes that it might as well become a new PEP.