[Python-Dev] Thoughts on stdlib evolvement

Fredrik Lundh fredrik at pythonware.com
Tue Jun 14 08:16:54 CEST 2005

Gustavo Niemeyer wrote:

> > > moving the main trunk and main development over to the Python CVS is
> > > another thing, entirely.
> >
> > (as I've said many times before, both the user community and the developer
> > community would benefit if the core standard library were made smaller, and
> > more externally maintained packages were included in the standard releases)
>
> An issue to consider about this is that maintainers (not talking about
> you or anyone else specifically) have different concepts of stability,
> and while it may seem perfectly ok to refactor external modules between
> two stable releases, doing so in the standard library would spread fear
> and "python is so untrustful" feelings.

I think you're seriously underestimating the competence of other
developers, and seriously overestimating the competence of the
python core developers.

in my experience, any external library that supports more than one
Python version on more than one platform is likely to be more robust
than code in the core.  add the multilevel volunteer approach de-
described by Steven (with the right infrastructure, things like that
just appear), and you get more competent manpower contributing
to the standard distribution than you can get in any other way.

</F>