[Python-Dev] python running in several threads

Martin Aliger maliger at gmail.com
Tue Jun 7 16:15:44 CEST 2005

Hello Python developers,

I know this is developers list and I hope I'm right here. I'm using
python as scripting engine embedded in application but issue should be
more general.

When several scripts are executed simultaneously (under several
threads) one have to acquire/release locks. This degrades performance
IMHO, mainly on server installations (many web servers use python
engine). Moreover those scripts are commonly independent chunks of
code which do not create other threats. Under those limitations, do
you think, an easy rewrite of execution engine is possible to allow
simultaneous run of all threads?

I checked the sources esp. PyThreadState object and it seems all those
variables could be held locally. Another way is using thread local
storage, but it could be a little problematic with porting issues.

How do you see it? Do you have any plans here?

Thanks and regards,
Martin