[Python-Dev] Thoughts on stdlib evolvement

Phillip J. Eby pje at telecommunity.com
Tue Jun 7 00:46:59 CEST 2005

At 03:17 PM 6/6/2005 -0700, Bob Ippolito wrote:
>Personally I'd like to see the standard library get smaller rather
>than larger.  There's a whole lot of bit rot in there, and since
>sys.path prefers the standard library over anything else it's a
>really huge pain to integrate patches on a faster release schedule
>than Python's while remaining sane at the same time.

You know, before you said that, it hadn't occurred to me that the Python
standard library is subject to the same economic forces that cause
mega-packages like Twisted, SciPy, Zope, etc. to develop.  Specifically,
the cost incurred by relying on an externally-distributed dependency causes
anyone with non-trivial needs to create "batteries included" libraries.

One of my goals for Python Eggs and EasyInstall was to lower this
dependency-cost barrier by reducing the "dependency cost" to zero at the
point of installation, by making it as easy to install ten packages as
one.  (Another was to reduce the dependency cost for the developer, who
need only add package metadata for the dependency to be fulfilled at
installation time.)

Now that you've pointed out the parallel between the stdlib and the other
modules, I wonder if Python 3.0 might be able to take a more minimalist
approach to the standard library, if it included the equivalents of
easy_install and pkg_resources.