[Python-Dev] Thoughts on stdlib evolvement

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Mon Jun 6 23:55:43 CEST 2005

Raymond Hettinger wrote:
>>  ElementTree, [wxPython - I know this is a hairy issue],
>

> If Fred were up for it, I think ElementTree would be a wonderful,
> must-have addition.

I might be missing fine details of the English language here
(what does "to be up for something" mean?), however, I believe
ElementTree is an unlikely addition to the standard library.

I also might be confusing people: AFAIK, ElementTree is
Fredrik Lundh's work, not Fred Drake's, so it would be
Fredrik who would need to contribute. My understanding is
that Fredrik has indicated a dislike to contribute certain
pieces of work, primarily out of fear to lose control. My
experience with integrating his work without his explicit
cooperation (specifically: sgmlop in PyXML) show that
he won't object to somebody else doing such integration,
but also won't try to cooperate afterwards.

Regards,
Martin