[Python-Dev] Summer of Code: Developing complete SSL support for Python

Florencio Cano Gabarda fcano at ono.com
Sat Jun 4 19:49:47 CEST 2005

Hello,
This is my first post to the list but I wish to be an active developer
of Python in the future. This project of Summer of Code from Google has
opened my eyes to the open source community. The money has been a great
motivation but  thinking about coding something that will be remembered
in the future and specially USEFUL to the community motivates me very
much too.

After this introduction I want to talk about SSL support in Python. I
have read in the Summer of Code section of Python web that a possible
project is coding a new complete module that implements SSL to Python.
And possibly add this module to the python standard library. Appart from
this the project would include adding functionality to the modules (like
urlib) to support SSL as trasparent as possible.
¿What do you think about it?

**I'm actually looking for information in the archives of this list and
web** but I would like to ask the list something:
- Is necessary a complete new SSL module for Python?
- What do you need about SSL ?
- What do you think about incorporing SSL to act trasparently in the
modules that use it in the actuality ?
- Any kind of information, references, would be appreciate.

I would like to do the new SSL module as good as possible. A piece of
art and efficiency if possible and obviusly having in mind all
programming standards.

Thanks very much for any help.
--
Florencio Cano Gabarda <fcano at ono.com>