[Python-Dev] PEP 343 rewrite complete

Phillip J. Eby pje at telecommunity.com
Thu Jun 2 22:12:03 CEST 2005

At 10:04 PM 6/2/2005 +0200, Eric Nieuwland wrote:
>I was thinking about 'try EXPR [as VAR]:' as a 'try' that handles uncaught
>exceptions by forwarding it to EXPR's __exit__ method. No confusion with me.

No doubt.  However, it's not obvious what happens to an exception in EXPR;
surely it can't be passed to EXPR's __exit__ method.  So, is it handled by
the try, or does it pass out of the block?  Whichever answer you give,
there is somebody who will think the opposite.  And this is precisely the
ambiguity I've been talking about.

In contrast, a 'with' unmixed with 'try' is absolutely unambiguous as to
which except: clauses handle what exceptions where.