[Python-Dev] Pre-PEP: Exception Reorganization for Python 3.0

Aahz aahz at pythoncraft.com
Sun Jul 31 06:11:29 CEST 2005

On Sat, Jul 30, 2005, Brett Cannon wrote:

> My view of Python 3.0 was that backwards-compatibility would not be a
> gimme in anyway.  I personally am willing to break stuff in the name
> of clarity, which is the point of this whole endeavour.  While I am
> willing to back off on some the proposed changes, I do think the basic
> spirit of it is correct.

My take is that for Python 3.0, backwards compatibility is no longer a
critical priority -- but any breakage still needs to be argued for and
balanced.  We want to avoid unnecessary breakage.

The way to build large Python applications is to componentize and
loosely-couple the hell out of everything.