[Python-Dev] PEP: Migrating the Python CVS to Subversion

M.-A. Lemburg mal at egenix.com
Sat Jul 30 12:38:09 CEST 2005

Barry Warsaw wrote:
> On Fri, 2005-07-29 at 16:59, "Martin v. Löwis" wrote:
>

>>Perhaps. Somebody would need to research the precise migration
>>procedure. I once tried to move the Python CVS to Sunsite
>>(or its successors), and gave up after half a year of getting
>>nowhere; I'm personally not keen on repeating such an experience.
>

> I'm with you.  SF is a devil we know.  If we don't stick with them (and
> it looks like that's not an option if we want to switch to svn soon),
> then I say we move it to svn.python.org, where we already have a server
> set up and running.  If we need more volunteers, well the community has
> always stepped up before and I'm sure it will when we come asking again.
>
> Actually, it's a good idea to /always/ be soliciting for help.  People
> get burned out and busy and I'd love to have a bullpen of volunteers
> that gets constantly refreshed.

I guess my point in suggesting a company to do the hosting was
to overcome any issues with people getting burned or tired of
administration.

The PSF does have a reasonable budget, so why not use it to
maintain the infrastructure needed for Python development and
let a company do the administration of the needed servers and
the importing of the CSV and tracker items into their
systems ?

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
eGenix.com

Professional Python Services directly from the Source  (#1, Jul 30 2005)