[Python-Dev] PEP: Migrating the Python CVS to Subversion

Fernando Perez fperez.net at gmail.com
Fri Jul 29 08:12:41 CEST 2005

"Martin v. Löwis" wrote:

> Fred L. Drake, Jr. wrote:
>> More interestingly, keeping it in a single repository makes it easier to
>> merge
>> projects, or parts of projects, together, without losing the history.  This
>> would be useful when developing packages that may be considered for the
>> standard library, but which also need to continue separate releases to
>> support older versions of Python.  We've found it very handy to keep multiple
>> projects in a single repository for zope.org.
>
> So do you use project/trunk or trunk/project? If the former, I would
> need to get instructions on how to do the conversion from CVS.

For ipython, which recently went through cvs2svn, I found that moving over to a
project/trunk structure was a few minutes worth of work.  Since svn has moving
commands, it was just a matter of making the extra project/ directory and
moving things one level down the hierarchy.  Even if cvs2svn doesn't quite
create things the way you want them in the long run, svn is flexible enough
that a few manual tweaks should be quite easy to perform.

Cheers,