[Python-Dev] 'With' context documentation draft (was Re: Terminology for PEP 343

Jim Jewett jimjjewett at gmail.com
Fri Jul 15 18:45:36 CEST 2005

Nick Coghlan asked Marc-Andre Lemburg:

> There's clearly something that bothers you about this though, and I'd like to
> understand what it is. Does the term 'context' carry additional, more
> specific, connotations for you that I'm simply not taking into account?

To me, a context is much larger than a single object.

That said, I can't think of any better words.  It *might* be worth
noting that context managers don't have to control the entire
context -- they will often affect only one small facet, and it is
OK to nest them if you want to control more than that.

-jJ