[Python-Dev] Adding the 'path' module (was Re: Some RFE for review)

Neil Hodgson nyamatongwe at gmail.com
Mon Jul 11 15:55:40 CEST 2005

M.-A. Lemburg:

> It's naive to assume that all people in Germany using the German
> locale have German names ;-)

   That is not an assumption I would make. The assumption I would make
is that if it is important to you to have your account name in a
particular character set then you will normally set your locale to
enable easy use of that account.

> I'm not sure why you bring up an administration tool: isn't
> the discussion about being able to load Python modules from
> directories with Unicode path components ?

   The discussion has moved between various aspects of unicode support
in Python. There are many areas of the Python library which are not
compatible with unicode and having an idea of the incidence of
particular situations helps define where effort is most effectively
spent. My experience has been that because of the way Windows handles
character set conversions, problems are less common on individual's
machines than they are on servers.

   Neil