[Python-Dev] Linux Python linking with G++?

David Abrahams dave at boost-consulting.com
Sun Jul 10 15:14:04 CEST 2005

"Martin v. Löwis" <martin at v.loewis.de> writes:

>> I don't believe any systems require it.  I realize you have said
>> otherwise, but after years of working with Boost.Python I'm very
>> familiar with the issues of dynamic linking and C/C++ interoperability
>> on a wide variety of platforms, and I'm not convinced by your
>> assertion.  If such a system exists, it should be easy for someone to
>> point me at it, and show that something breaks.
>
> I well remember that gcc 2.5.8 on Linux a.out required this sort of
> setup.

Sorry, a.out?  Isn't that the default name a C compiler gives to the
executable it builds on Unix?  Is it also (part of) the name of an OS?

> Dynamic linking was not supported at all on that system (atleast
> not in a way where users could easily write shared libraries
> themselves). Rebuilding the Python interpreter was the only option
> to integrate additional modules.

Understood, and I retract my former incredulity.  I believe HP-UX
requires it, and I believe that some systems where you have to link in
extension modules explicitly require it.  But the "--with-cxx if
configure says you can get away with it" behavior is hurting on a
major platform: ELF Linux.

--
Dave Abrahams
Boost Consulting