[Python-Dev] Linux Python linking with G++?

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Sun Jul 10 09:25:51 CEST 2005

David Abrahams wrote:
>>Not entirely. By extending Modules/Setup
>

> You mean
> http://cvs.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.py/python/python/dist/src/Modules/Setup.dist?view=markup
> ?

I mean Modules/Setup. It is generated from Modules/Setup.dist
(plus some additional information) in the build process.

> I contend that either:
>
>    a.  Anyone making that sort of extension with a C++ module should
>    explicitly request --with-cxx, or
>
>    b.  The python build system should automatically detect that
>    --with-cxx is needed based on the presence of C++ extension
>    modules.
>
> Frankly I think b. would require an impractical amount of work and,
> speaking as an author of C++ extension modules, I don't think a. is
> much of a burden to impose.

It is the burden of change. Contributions are welcome.

However, you will find that with a), people will still pass --with-cxx,
because they tend to "enable" all features they can find.

I personally could accept --with-cxx and ccpython.cc to be removed
again, but I'm uncertain whether that may break distutils in some way.

Regards,
Martin