[Python-Dev] Linux Python linking with G++?

David Abrahams dave at boost-consulting.com
Sat Jul 9 14:40:27 CEST 2005

Ulrich Berning <ulrich.berning at t-online.de> writes:

> If you build C++ extensions on HP-UX with aCC, Python must be compiled
> and linked as a C++ program. This is documented.

You mean dynamically loaded C++ extensions, or the kind that are
linked into the Python executable?

I'm willing to believe almost anything about HP-UX.  Until recently,
aCC was so broken as a C++ compiler that there was little point in
trying to get Boost.Python to work on it, and I don't have much data
for that system.

> It will not work if Python is compiled and linked as a normal C
> program (I have tried it).

Even if you take out the use of C++ constructs in ccpython.cc?  I just
need to check all the obvious angles.

> I haven't tried gcc on this platform, but I guess it is the same
> (compile and link with g++).

Okay, but -- at the very least -- we don't need this behavior on
ELF/Linux.

--
Dave Abrahams
Boost Consulting