[Python-Dev] 'With' context documentation draft (was Re: Terminology for PEP 343

Guido van Rossum gvanrossum at gmail.com
Thu Jul 7 20:00:58 CEST 2005

> > +1 on @contextmanager

+1.

[__enter__, __exit__]
> >> These names should be changed to __beginwith__ and __endwith__.

-1.  The PEP has had an extensive review period and several
alternatives were discussed and rejected. These names are clear, they
*do* match, and as Fred says the __*__ namespace has lots of room.

Also, the PEP was accepted with these names. Now, if it was accepted
with a major flaw or some semantics left unspecified, I'd be happy to
discuss repairs; but there's nothing broken about this part of the
PEP, so I say enough is enough (and none of the proposals sound good
to me anyway so I'd be -1 even if the PEP was still under discussion).