[Python-Dev] Terminology for PEP 343

Raymond Hettinger python at rcn.com
Mon Jul 4 08:34:51 CEST 2005

[Aahz]
> How about "decimal.Context() objects are managed resources" or
"...have
> guarded scopes"?  (I'm not terribly wild about either, but they are
> fairly simple and direct.)

See my other posts which bag on both "managed resources" and "guarded".
The part about scopes is less clear -- there is certainly a span of
action but the scope concept is more closely aligned with namespaces
(and we're not creating a new namespace here).

For extra credit, any proposed solution ought to also deal with the two
kinds of __enter__ methods.  One is expected to be used with "as" and
the other is not.  Neither of the above wordings begin to suggest
whether decimal.Context.__enter__ will return a useful value (the PEP
has examples of each).

Raymond