[Python-Dev] Let's get rid of unbound methods

Greg Ewing greg.ewing at canterbury.ac.nz
Fri Jan 28 23:46:12 CET 2005

Josiah Carlson wrote:
> While it seems that super() is the 'modern paradigm' for this,
> I have been using base.method(self, ...) for years now, and have been
> quite happy with it.

I too would be very disappointed if base.method(self, ...)
became somehow deprecated. Cooperative super calls are a
different beast altogether and have different use cases.

In fact I'm having difficulty finding *any* use cases at
all for super() in my code. I thought I had found one
once, but on further reflection I changed my mind.

And I have found that the type checking of self provided
by unbound methods has caught a few bugs that would
probably have produced more mysterious symptoms otherwise.
But I can't say for sure whether they would have been
greatly more mysterious -- perhaps not.

--
Greg