[Python-Dev] __str__ vs. __unicode__

M.-A. Lemburg mal at egenix.com
Sun Jan 23 15:27:59 CET 2005

Walter Dörwald wrote:
> M.-A. Lemburg wrote:
>
>  > [...]
>
>> __str__ and __unicode__ as well as the other hooks were
>> specifically added for the type constructors to use.
>> However, these were added at a time where sub-classing
>> of types was not possible, so it's time now to reconsider
>> whether this functionality should be extended to sub-classes
>> as well.
>

> So can we reach consensus on this, or do we need a
> BDFL pronouncement?

I don't have a clear picture of what the consensus currently
looks like :-)

If we're going for for a solution that implements the hook
awareness for all __<typename>__ hooks, I'd be +1 on that.
If we only touch the __unicode__ case, we'd only be created
yet another special case. I'd vote -0 on that.

Another solution would be to have all type constructors
ignore the __<typename>__ hooks (which were originally
added to provide classes with a way to mimic type behavior).

In general, I think we should try to get rid off special
cases and go for a clean solution (either way).

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
eGenix.com

Professional Python Services directly from the Source  (#1, Jan 23 2005)