[Python-Dev] a bunch of Patch reviews

Tim Peters tim.peters at gmail.com
Thu Jan 20 18:44:56 CET 2005

[Tim Peters]
>> It's also extremely useful in practice to have a list of repaired
>> bugs in NEWS!

[Martin v. Löwis]
> I'm not convinced about that - it makes the NEWS file almost
> unreadable, as the noise is now so high if every tiny change is
> listed; it is very hard to see what the important changes are.

My experience disagrees, and I gave a specific example from just the
last day.  High-level coverage of the important bits is served (and
served well) by Andrew's "What's New in Python" doc.  (Although I'll
note that when I did releases, I tried to sort section contents in
NEWS, to put the more important items at the top.)

In any case, you snipped the other part here:  a brief summary of
changes is required by the licenses, and they don't distinguish
between changes due to features or bugs.  If, for example, we didn't
note that tuple hashing changed in NEWS, we would be required to note
that in some other file.  NEWS is the historical place for it, and
works fine for this purpose (according to me <wink>).