[Python-Dev] Getting rid of unbound methods: patch available

Armin Rigo arigo at tunes.org
Thu Jan 20 13:38:26 CET 2005

Hi,

Removing unbound methods also breaks the 'py' lib quite a bit.  The 'py.test'
framework handles function and bound/unbound method objects all over the
place, and uses introspection on them, as they are the objects defining the
tests to run.

It's nothing that can't be repaired, and at places the fix even looks nicer
than the original code, but I thought that it points to large-scale breakage.
I'm expecting any code that relies on introspection to break at least here or
there.  My bet is that even if it's just for fixes a couple of lines long
everyone will have to upgrade a number of their packages when switching to
Python 2.5 -- unheard of !

For reference, the issues I got with the py lib are described at
 http://codespeak.net/pipermail/py-dev/2005-January/000159.html

Armin