[Python-Dev] Getting rid of unbound methods: patch available

Glyph Lefkowitz glyph at divmod.com
Mon Jan 17 07:56:59 CET 2005

On Sun, 2005-01-16 at 22:12 -0800, Guido van Rossum wrote:

> What do people think? (My main motivation for this, as stated before,
> is that it adds complexity without much benefit.)

> ***************
> *** 331,339 ****
>   def test_im_class():
>       class C:
>           def foo(self): pass
> -     verify(C.foo.im_class is C)

^ Without this, as JP Calderone pointed out earlier, you can't serialize
unbound methods.  I wouldn't mind that so much, but you can't tell that
they're any different from regular functions until you're
*de*-serializing them.

In general I like the patch, but what is the rationale for removing
im_class from functions defined within classes?