[Python-Dev] Exceptions *must*? be old-style classes?

Simon Percivall s.percivall at chello.se
Sun Jan 16 03:07:23 CET 2005

On 2005-01-16, at 02.57, Guido van Rossum wrote:
> It's been suggested that all exceptions should inherit from Exception,
> but this would break tons of existing code, so we shouldn't enforce
> that until 3.0. (Is there a PEP for this? I think there should be.)

What would happen if Exception were made a new-style class, enforce
inheritance from Exception for all new-style exceptions, and allow all
old-style exceptions as before. Am I wrong in assuming that only the
most esoteric exceptions inheriting from Exception would break by
Exception becoming new-style?

//Simon