[Python-Dev] PEP 246: lossless and stateless

Clark C. Evans cce at clarkevans.com
Fri Jan 14 18:41:50 CET 2005

On Fri, Jan 14, 2005 at 12:28:16PM -0500, Phillip J. Eby wrote:
| At 08:32 AM 1/14/05 -0800, Guido van Rossum wrote:
| >I have no desire to add syntax
| >complexities like this to satisfy some kind of theoretically nice
| >property.
|
| Whether it's syntax or a decorator, it allows you to create stateless
| adapters without needing to write individual adapter *classes*, or even
| having an explicit notion of an "interface" to adapt to.  That is, it
| makes it very easy to write a "good" adapter; you can do it without even
| trying.  The point isn't to make it impossible to write a "bad" adapter,
| it's to make it more attractive to write a good one.

Phillip,

May I suggest that you write this up as a PEP?  Being dead in the
water isn't always fatal.  Right now you're ideas are still very
fuzzy and by forcing yourself to come up with a narrative, semantics
section, minimal implementation, and examples, you will go along way
to both refining your idea and also allowing others to better
understand what you're proposing.

Cheers,

Clark