[Python-Dev] Re: PEP 246: LiskovViolation as a name

stelios xanthakis sxanth at cs.teiath.gr
Thu Jan 13 10:26:51 CET 2005

Skip Montanaro wrote:

>    Michael> Guido writes:
>    >> How about SubstitutabilityError?
>
>I don't think that's any better.  At the very least, people can Google for
>"Liskov violation" to educate themselves.  I'm not sure that the results of
>a Google search for "Subtitutability Error" will be any clearer

>I don't think that's appropriate in this case.  Liskov violation is
>something precise.  I don't think that changing what you call it will help
>beginners understand it any better in this case.  I say leave it as it and
>make sure it's properly documented.

Yes but in order to fall into a Liskov Violation, one will have to use
extreme OOP features (as I understand from the ongoing
discussion for which, honestly, I understand nothing:). So it's not like
it will happen often and when it happens
it will make sense to the architects who made such complex things.

+1 on SubstitutabilityError or something easier and moreover because of
the fact that some people
really don't care who Liskov is and what he/she discovered, and whether
that same thing would had
been discovered anyway 2 mothns later by somebody else if the Liskov
person wasn't there.

St.