[Python-Dev] PEP 246, redux

Michael Chermside mcherm at mcherm.com
Tue Jan 11 18:27:26 CET 2005

Phillip:

I think you must inhabit a far more perfect world than I do.

You say, for instance, that:
> ...-1 if this introduces a performance penalty [...] just to
> support people who want to create deliberate Liskov violations.
> I personally don't think that we should pander to Liskov
> violators

... but in my world, people violate Liskov all the time, even
in languages that attempt (unsuccessfully) to enforce it. [1]

You say that:
> I think one should adapt primarily to interfaces, and
> interface-to-interface adaptation should be reserved for
> non-lossy, non-noisy adapters.

... but in my world, half the time I'm using adaptation to
correct for the fact that someone else's poorly-written
code requests some class where it should have just used
an interface.

You seem to inhabit a world in which transitivity of adaptation
can be enforced. But in my world, people occasionally misuse
adaptation because they think they know what they're doing
or because they're in a big hurry and it's the most convenient
tool at hand.

I wish I lived in your world, but I don't.

-- Michael Chermside

[1] - Except for Eiffel. Eiffel seems to do a pretty good job
   of enforcing it.