[Python-Dev] Re: Subscribing to PEP updates

Sjoerd Mullender sjoerd at acm.org
Fri Jan 7 17:01:31 CET 2005

Batista, Facundo wrote:
> [Barry Warsaw]
>
>  > As an experiment, I just added a PEP topic to the python-checkins
>  > mailing list.  You could subscribe to this list and just select the PEP
>  > topic (which matches the regex "PEP" in the Subject header or first few
>  > lines of the body).
>  >
>  > Give it a shot and let's see if that does the trick.
>
> Can the defaults be configured? Because now the config is this:
>
> - Which topic categories would you like to subscribe to? (default: "pep"
> not checked)
>
> - Do you want to receive messages that do not match any topic filter?
> (default: No)
>
> So, happens the following (happened to me, je): You subscribe to the
> list, and confirm the registration, and you never get a message unless
> you change this.

However, there is an additional line in the description:
"If no topics of interest are selected above, then you will receive
every message sent to the mailing list."
In other words, don't check any topics, and you get everything.  If you
*do* check a topic, you only get the messages belonging to that topic.
This seems to me a reasonable default.

--
Sjoerd Mullender <sjoerd at acm.org>