[Python-Dev] Re: [Csv] Minor change to behaviour of csv module

Michael Chermside mcherm at mcherm.com
Fri Jan 7 14:45:20 CET 2005

Andrew explains that in the CSV module, escape characters are not
properly removed.

Andrew writes back later:
> Thinking about this further, I suspect we have to retain the current
> behaviour, as broken as it is, as the default: it's conceivable that
> someone somewhere is post-processing the result to remove the backslashes,
> and if we fix the csv module, we'll break their code.

I'm with Magnus on this. No one has 4 year old code using the CSV module.
The existing behavior is just simply WRONG. Sure, of course we should
try to maintain backward compatibility, but surely SOME cases don't
require it, right? Can't we treat this misbehavior as an outright bug?

-- Michael Chermside