[Python-Dev] Re: [Csv] csv module TODO list

Andrew McNamara andrewm at object-craft.com.au
Fri Jan 7 07:13:22 CET 2005

>There's a bunch of jobs we (CSV module maintainers) have been putting
>off - attached is a list (in no particular order):
[...]
>Also, review comments from Jeremy Hylton, 10 Apr 2003:
>
>    I've been reviewing extension modules looking for C types that should
>    participate in garbage collection.  I think the csv ReaderObj and
>    WriterObj should participate.  The ReaderObj it contains a reference to
>    input_iter that could be an arbitrary Python object.  The iterator
>    object could well participate in a cycle that refers to the ReaderObj.
>    The WriterObj has a reference to a writeline callable, which could well
>    be a method of an object that also points to the WriterObj.

I finally got around to looking at this, only to realise Jeremy did the
work back in Apr 2003 (thanks). One question, however - the GC doco in
the Python/C API seems to suggest to me that PyObject_GC_Track should be
called on the newly minted object prior to returning from the initialiser
(and correspondingly PyObject_GC_UnTrack should be called prior to
dismantling). This isn't being done in the module as it stands. Is the
module wrong, or is my understanding of the reference manual incorrect?

http://www.object-craft.com.au/