[Python-Dev] 2.3.5 schedule, and something I'd like to get in

Bob Ippolito bob at redivi.com
Wed Jan 5 23:06:10 CET 2005

On Jan 5, 2005, at 16:58, Martin v. Löwis wrote:

> Ronald Oussoren wrote:
>
>> It gets worse when you have a user-installed python 2.3 and a
>> user-installed python 2.4. Those will be both be installed as
>> /Library/Frameworks/Python.framework.
>
> Yes, but one is installed in Versions/2.3, and the other in
> Versions/2.4.
>
>> This means that you cannot use the -F flag to select which one you
>> want to link to, '-framework Python' will only link to the python
>> that was installed the latest.
>
> What about using -F /Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.3?
> Or, would there be a different way to specify the version of a
> framework when linking, in addition to -F? What about
>
>   -framework Python,/Versions/2.3

Nope.  The only way to link to a non-current framework version is to
forego any linker searching and specify the dyld file directly, i.e.
/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.3/Python.  The gcc
toolchain does not in any way whatsoever understand versioned
frameworks, period.

> I could not find a specification how the suffix in -framework is meant
> to work - perhaps it could be used here?

dylib suffixes are used for having separate versions of the dylib
(debug, profile, etc.).  It is NOT for general production use, ever.

-bob