[Python-Dev] Let's get rid of unbound methods

Guido van Rossum gvanrossum at gmail.com
Wed Jan 5 19:10:32 CET 2005

> Um, isn't all this stuff going to be more complicated and spread out over
> more of the code than just leaving unbound methods in place?

Well, in an early version of Python it was as simple as I'd like ot to
be again: the instancemethod type was only used for bound methods
(hence the name) and C.f would return same the function object as
C.__dict__["f"]. Apart from backwards compatibility with all the code
that has grown cruft to deal with the fact that C.f is not a function
object, I still see no reason why the current state of affairs is
better.