[Python-Dev] csv module TODO list

M.-A. Lemburg mal at egenix.com
Wed Jan 5 10:10:30 CET 2005

Martin v. Löwis wrote:
> Andrew McNamara wrote:
>
>> There's a bunch of jobs we (CSV module maintainers) have been putting
>> off - attached is a list (in no particular order):
>> * unicode support (this will probably uglify the code considerably).
>

> Can you please elaborate on that? What needs to be done, and how is
> that going to be done? It might be possible to avoid considerable
> uglification.

Indeed. The trick is to convert to Unicode early and to use Unicode
literals instead of string literals in the code.

Note that the only real-life Unicode format in use is UTF-16
(with BOM mark) written by Excel. Note that there's no standard
for specifying the encoding in CSV files, so this is also the only
feasable format.

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
eGenix.com

Professional Python Services directly from the Source  (#1, Jan 05 2005)