[Python-Dev] Re: [Csv] csv module TODO list

Skip Montanaro skip at pobox.com
Wed Jan 5 08:33:04 CET 2005

    Andrew> There's a bunch of jobs we (CSV module maintainers) have been
    Andrew> putting off - attached is a list (in no particular order):

In addition, it occurred to me this evening that there's functionality in
the csv module I don't think anybody uses.  For example, you can register
CSV dialects by name, then pass in the string name instead of the dialect
class.  I'd be in favor of scrapping list_dialects, register_dialect and
unregister_dialect altogether.  While they are probably trivial little
functions I don't think they add much if anything to the implementation and
just complicate the _csv extension module slightly.  I'm also not aware that
anyone really uses the Sniffer class, though it does provide some useful
functionality should you need to analyze random CSV files.

Skip