[Python-Dev] 2.3.5 schedule, and something I'd like to get in

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Wed Jan 5 00:54:02 CET 2005

Jack Jansen wrote:
> First question: what is the Python 2.3.5 release schedule and who is
> responsible?

Last I heard it is going to be released "in January", and Anthony Baxter
is the release manager.

> Second question: I thought this info was in a PEP somewhere, but I could
> only find PEPs on major releases, should I have found this info somewhere?

By following python-dev, or in a python-dev summary, e.g.

http://www.python.org/dev/summary/2004-11-01_2004-11-15.html

> The problem we're trying to solve is that due to the way Apple's
> framework architecture works newer versions of frameworks are preferred
> (at link time, and sometimes even at runtime) over older ones.

Can you elaborate on that somewhat? According to

http://developer.apple.com/documentation/MacOSX/Conceptual/BPFrameworks/Concepts/VersionInformation.html

there are major and minor versions of frameworks. I would think that
every Python minor (2.x) release should produce a new major framework
version of the Python framework. Then, there would be no problem.

Why does this not work?

> I think this is all safe, and these patches shouldn't affect any system
> other than MacOSX, but I'm a bit reluctant to fiddle with the build
> procedure for a micro-release, so that's why I'm asking.

This is ultimately for the release manager to decide. My personal
feeling is that it is ok to fiddle with the build procedure. I'm
more concerned that the approach taken might be "wrong", in the
sense that it uses a stack of hacks and work-arounds for problems
which Apple envisions to be solved differently. That would be bad,
because it might make an implementation of the "proper" solution
more difficult.

Regards,
Martin