[Python-Dev] Will ASTbranch compile on windows yet?

Tim Peters tim.peters at gmail.com
Tue Jan 4 20:08:34 CET 2005

[olsongt at verizon.net]
> I submitted patch "[ 742621 ] ast-branch: msvc project sync" in
> the VC6.0 days.  There were some required changes to headers
> as well as the project files.  It had discouraged me in the past
> when Jeremy made calls for help on the astbranch and I wasn't
> even sure if the source was in a compilable state when I checked
> it out.  I'm sure it has discouraged other windows programmers
> as well.

I'd be surprised if it compiled on Windows now, as I don't think any
Windows users have been working on that branch.

At the last (2004) PyCon, I was going to participate in the annual AST
sprint again, but it was so far from working on Windows then I gave up
(and joined the close-bugs/patches sprint instead).

I don't have time to join the current crusade.  If there's pent-up
interest among Windows users, it would be good to say which
compiler(s) you can use, since I expect not everyone can deal with VC
7.1 (e.g., I think Raymond Hettinger is limited to VC 6; and you said
you worked up a VC 6 patch, but didn't say whether you could use 7.1
now).