[Python-Dev] Please help complete the AST branch

Jeremy Hylton jhylton at gmail.com
Tue Jan 4 05:03:33 CET 2005

On Mon, 03 Jan 2005 18:02:52 -0800, Brett C. <bac at ocf.berkeley.edu> wrote:
> Plus there is the running tradition of sprinting on the AST branch at PyCon.  I
> was planning on shedding my bug fixing drive at PyCon this year and sprinting
> with (hopefully) Jeremy, Neal, Tim, and Neil on the AST branch as a prep for
> working on it afterwards for my class credit.

I'd like to sprint on it before PyCon; we'll have to see what my
schedule allows.

> If anyone would like to see the current code, check out ast-branch from CVS
> (read the dev FAQ on how to check out a branch from CVS).  Read
> Python/compile.txt for an overview of how the thing works and such.
>
> It will get done, just don't push for a 2.5 release within a month.  =)

I think the branch is in an awkward state, because of the new features
added to Python 2.4 after the AST branch work ceased.  The ast branch
doesn't handle generator expressions or decorators; extending the ast
to support them would be a good first step.

There are also the simple logistical questions of integrating changes.
 Since most of the AST branch changes are confined to a few files, I
suspect the best thing to do is to merge all the changes from the head
except for compile.c.  I haven't done a major CVS branch integrate in
at least nine months; if someone feels more comfortable with that, it
would also be a good step.

Perhaps interested parties should take up the discussion on the
compiler-sig.  I think we can recover the state of last May's effort
pretty quickly, and I can help outline the remaining work even if I
can't help much.  (Although I hope I can help, too.)

Jeremy