[Python-Dev] Re: Zipfile needs?

Mon Jan 3 18:07:00 CET 2005

Brett C. wrote:
> Scott David Daniels wrote:
>
>> I'm hoping to add BZIP2 compression to zipfile for 2.5.  My primary
>> motivation is that Project Gutenberg seems to be starting to use BZIP2
>> compression for some of its zips.  What other wish list things do
>> people around here have for zipfile?  I thought I'd collect input here
>> and make a PEP.
> Encryption/decryption support.  Will most likely require a C extension
> since the algorithm relies on ints (or longs, don't remember) wrapping
> around when the value becomes too large.

I'm trying to use byte-block streams (iterators taking iterables) as
the basic structure of getting data in and out.  I think the encryption/
decryption can then be plugged in at the right point.  If it can be set
up properly, you can import the encryption separately and connect it to
zipfiles with a call.  Would this address what you want?  I believe
there is an issue actually building in the encryption/decryption in
terms of redistribution.

--
-- Scott David Daniels
Scott.Daniels at Acm.Org