[Python-Dev] license issues with profiler.py and md5.h/md5c.c

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Fri Feb 18 10:06:24 CET 2005

Donovan Baarda wrote:
> This patch keeps the current md5c.c, md5module.c files and adds the
> following; _hashopenssl.c, hashes.py, md5.py, sha.py.
[...]
> If all we wanted to do was fix the md5 module

If we want to fix the licensing issues with the md5 module, this patch
does not help at all, as it keeps the current md5 module (along with
its licensing issues). So any patch to solve the problem will need
to delete the code with the questionable license.

Then, the approach in the patch breaks the promise that the md5 module
is always there. It would require that OpenSSL is always there - a
promise that we cannot make (IMO).

Regards,
Martin