[Python-Dev] [ python-Bugs-1124637 ] test_subprocess is far too slow (fwd)

Peter Astrand astrand at lysator.liu.se
Thu Feb 17 16:52:12 CET 2005

On Thu, 17 Feb 2005, Guido van Rossum wrote:

> > I'd like to have your opinion on this bug. Personally, I'd prefer to keep
> > test_no_leaking as it is, but if you think otherwise...

> A suite of unit tests is a precious thing. We want to test as much as
> we can, and as thoroughly as possible; but at the same time we want
> the test to run reasonably fast. If the test takes too long, human
> nature being what it is, this will actually cause less thorough
> testing because developers don't feel like running the test suite
> after each small change, and then we get frequent problems where

Good point.

> The Python test suite already has a way (the -u flag) to distinguish
> between "regular" broad-coverage testing and deep coverage for
> specific (or all) areas. Let's keep the really long-running tests out
> of the regular test suite.

I'm convinced. Is this easy to implement? Anyone interested in doing this?

> There used to be a farm of machines that did nothing but run the test
> suite ("snake-farm"). This seems to have stopped (it was run by
> volunteers at a Swedish university). Maybe we should revive such an
> effort, and make sure it runs with -u all.

Yes, Snake Farm is/was a project at "Lysator", an academic computer
society located at Linkoping University. As you can tell from my mail
address, I'm a member as well. I haven't been involved in the Snake Farm
project, though.

/Peter Åstrand <astrand at lysator.liu.se>