[Python-Dev] 2.4 func.__name__ breakage

Tim Peters tim.peters at gmail.com
Wed Feb 16 22:55:27 CET 2005

Rev 2.66 of funcobject.c made func.__name__ writable for the first
time.  That's great, but the patch also introduced what I'm pretty
sure was an unintended incompatibility:  after 2.66, func.__name__ was
no longer *readable* in restricted execution mode.  I can't think of a
good reason to restrict reading func.__name__, and it looks like this
part of the change was an accident.  So, unless someone objects soon,
I intend to restore that func.__name__ is readable regardless of
execution mode (but will continue to be unwritable in restricted
execution mode).

Objections?

Tres Seaver filed a bug report (some Zope tests fail under 2.4 because of this):

    http://www.python.org/sf/1124295