[Python-Dev] Patch review: [ 1098732 ] Enhance tracebacks and stack traces with vars

Guido van Rossum gvanrossum at gmail.com
Thu Feb 10 00:53:56 CET 2005

> > Oh, come on.  Making tracebacks less useful to protect people who
> > accidentally spray them across the internet seems absurd.  Would you
> > like them not to show source, either?

My response exactly.

> On Mac OS X the paths to the files are so long as to make the
> tracebacks really ugly and *less* usable.  I certainly wouldn't mind if
> __name__ showed up instead of __file__.  I have a "pywhich" script that
> shows me the file given a name that I use:

Well, sorry, but not everybody is as smart as you, and having the file
name rather than the module name there helps debugging important
sys.python issues. It wouldn't be the first time that someone has a
hacked version of a standard module tucked away in a directory that
happens to land on the path, and seeing the pathname is then a lot
more productive than the module name.