[Python-Dev] Naming conventions in Py3K

Barry Warsaw barry at python.org
Fri Dec 30 16:16:43 CET 2005

On Thu, 2005-12-29 at 22:29 -0600, Ka-Ping Yee wrote:
> In a fair number of cases, Python doesn't follow its own recommended
> naming conventions.  Changing these things would break backward
> compatibility, so they are out of the question for Python 2.*, but
> it would be nice to keep these in mind for Python 3K.
>
>     Constants in all caps:
>         NONE, TRUE, FALSE, ELLIPSIS

Just from a practical standpoint, I'm -1 on this.  These names (at least
the first three) are typed /so/ often in Python programs, just think of
the finger pain caused by excessive use of the shift key.  Now, I
personally swap capslock and control so it would be a PITA <wink> for
me, but doable.  But I know a lot of people who disable capslock
altogether so they'd be performing all kinds of pinkie stretching
gymnastics all the time.

-Barry