[Python-Dev] a quit that actually quits

Michael Hudson mwh at python.net
Wed Dec 28 12:24:23 CET 2005

skip at pobox.com writes:

>     Fredrik> a quit/exit command that actually quits, instead of printing a
>     Fredrik> "you didn't say please!" message.
>
> I like Fredrik's idea more and more.

The thing that bothers me about it is that the standard way you tell
python to do something is "call a function" -- to me, a special case
for exiting the interpreter seems out of proportion.

In other news, clever hacks with tb_next and so on also seem
excessive.  Why not have the equivalent of "if input.rstrip() ==
'exit': sys.exit()" in the implementation of the interactive
interpreter?

Cheers,
mwh

--
  My first thought was someone should offer Mr. Bush elocution
  lessons.  But he'd probably say he knew how to work them chairs