[Python-Dev] Small any/all enhancement

Valentino Volonghi aka Dialtone dialtone at divmod.com
Tue Dec 27 21:45:01 CET 2005

I see that Python 2.5 will include a simple implementation of any/all.

What I would like to ask, before it's too late, is if it's possible to add an
optional test argument.

any(iterable, test=bool) and all(iterable, test=bool)

These would be the new proposed APIs. The usecase is to be able to extract
attributes from objects or simply to have arbitrary checks like:

import operator

any(some_objects, test=operator.attrgetter('some_attribute'))

or

def zerop(x):
    return x==0

all(some_objects, zerop)

instead of preprocessing the generator with a generator expression before
passing it to any/all.

Thanks.

--
Valentino Volonghi aka Dialtone