[Python-Dev] Expose Subversion revision number to Python

Barry Warsaw barry at python.org
Fri Dec 16 14:35:41 CET 2005

On Fri, 2005-12-16 at 01:38 -0500, Phillip J. Eby wrote:

> FYI, this is not the true revision number; it's only the revision number in
> which the directory was last modified, not the latest revision number
> within the tree.

Yep, I know.  At work, we've gone through many iterations of this,
including essentially what you do in setuptools.

I opted against that for several reasons.  First, I wanted to keep the
patch as simple as possible.  Second, I didn't want to depend on Python
already being built (i.e. write a Python script to do this).  Third, I
think most Python developers will just svn up at the top of the source
tree, then rebuild, rather than svn up some buried sub-tree, cd back to
the top and rebuild from there.  At least, that's how I generally work
with the Python tree.

-Barry