[Python-Dev] PEP 8 updates/clarifications

skip@pobox.com skip at pobox.com
Tue Dec 13 16:18:18 CET 2005

    Nick> Having to type '(object)' all the time is annoying, but less
    Nick> annoying than trying to figure out which set of semantics a given
    Nick> class is using.

Sure.  Since I started writing Python long before new-style classes were
around, I have lots of classic classes.  My default is thus to use classic
classes in preference to new-style classes, for much the same semantic
reasons as you.

    Nick> I think it's an artifact of only seriously starting to use Python
    Nick> with version 2.2.2 - I don't really understand how old-style
    Nick> classes work, so I try to avoid using them.

Again, we're actually thinking along the same lines.  Classic classes work
just fine for me, so I've been slow to let the new-style class meme permeate
through my brain.

Skip